- Daniels Fund Scholarship Program
- » Overview
- » About the Daniels Scholarship Program
- » Boundless Opportunity Scholarship
- » Info for Daniels Scholars
- » Info for parents
- » Scholarship team
Tips for Parents - Summer
HELPFUL TIPS FOR PARENTS OF COLLEGE STUDENTS
Tips to consider during the Summer (May – July) months:
- Talk about money. Help prepare them to budget for the following school year. Be sure that both you and your student have an awareness of their upcoming EFC, travel costs, books, and deposits. Talk about where the EFC money is going to come from.
- Be sure and clarify boundaries at home after they have had more freedom at college.
- Make sure and balance your support of them with their need to grow independently.
- Your student may change and grow due to things that they are learning and experiencing in college, but that doesn’t mean they are not the same student that you sent off to college.
- Talk about communication and the importance of reciprocity. Make sure that both you and your student are comfortable with the expectations that are discussed and planned.
- Recognize that you can’t say everything. Write them letters and mail them to your student as a way of keeping in touch and telling them how much you care.